JW4GUA took it upon himself to do some very needed maintenance on our two beam antennas. We have for some time been missing an element for 15m and the 20-17-15m beam have been able to rotate slightly on the rotor pipe. When we got up there we noticed that one of the boom support wires had snapped completely off! Just another evidence that its a hard life for antennas in the high arctic! We have now straightened out some of the elements and remounted the missing 15m element. The boom support wire is now replaced and the rotor and bearings have been checked.
JW5ZLA has started to paint the JW5E Shack! 3/2 walls are now painted antique white in an effort to give the shack a more modern look. The color was carefully selected on the basis of being the only white-ish paint available on Svalbard! We are very happy with the outcome! The last 5/2 walls will be painted according to the amount of free time JW5ZLA can free up throughout the winter.
JW5E would like to extend a thank you to the local electrician firm JM Hansen for donating an oscilloscope to the club! This mint condition Tektronix TDS 320 will be of great help to us especially during licensing courses as a visualisation tool and as an aid for the DIY minded of the club members.
For those of you who want some inspiration on what to use an oscilloscope for in the shack:
JW5E will participate in CQ WW this year! JW7QIA arrived from Norway on wednesday to help build a two station contesting setup. The last days have been plagued by bad weather and high solar activity causing the bands to be very unpredictable. HF blackouts and auroral flutter have made it challenging to do on air tests, but we have high hopes that the magnetosphere will quiet down for us on friday.
More info and pictures to come as we get closer to the contest start!
JW7QIA and JW4DUA discussing contesting procedures in front of the unfinished secondary station setup.
JW9SRR is now operative from the mountain Skolten. Due to desense issues we are only able to run with 20W to the antenna. In order to solve the receiver issues we need a better antenna with less SWR, a circulator with dumpload and an extra cavity for the duplexer. Work is in progress in order to obtain these items.